Larapinta (Mereenie) road between <span class="highlight">kings</span> <span class="highlight">canyon</span> and Glen heelen

Hello

On september 02/09 I'd like to drive that road with a full 4WD but I've never been driving such a car. I wonder where I can get information on the road conditions before leavin Kings canyon resort

Thank you very much
Louis

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Discotwinturbo - Sunday, Aug 14, 2011 at 22:21

Sunday, Aug 14, 2011 at 22:21
Gday Louis,

The service station at the resort issues the permits to travel the Mereenie Loop and will have up to date road conditions. You can also find road conditions on this forum under Trecks (Check road conditions). Resort will likely be more up to date.

I travelled this road in March 2010. Was fairly corrugated, but have travelled worse. We towed a camper trailer, with around 25 Psi all round, took it easy, and had no issues (its not a race).

Its a magic area.

Brett.....
AnswerID: 462623

Reply By: Mick O - Sunday, Aug 14, 2011 at 23:26

Sunday, Aug 14, 2011 at 23:26
Louis,

I travelled it a few weeks ago and it is in very good condition. Here's a link to my report on it.

Mereenie Loop to Kings Canyon

Mereenie to Alice Springs

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 462627

Follow Up By: Louis H - Sunday, Aug 14, 2011 at 23:52

Sunday, Aug 14, 2011 at 23:52
Thank you very much for your information. I've just read your report and are looking forward to beeing there.

Louis
FollowupID: 736423

Reply By: Marksom - Monday, Aug 15, 2011 at 07:47

Monday, Aug 15, 2011 at 07:47
Hi Louis, Mark from Ballina, done Central Oz a Few weeks ago, as said, the dirt road is in good condition, a few sections of short corrugations, just slow down, we dropped our tyre pressure 3-4 lb, most of the dirt is as smooth as a babys,just a beautiful place, allow time for Standley Chasm, Ochre Pits, Ellery Hole ( the dead fish smell shud be gone by now), Ormiston Gorge, Glen Helen Resort, etc. Got permit from Glen Helen Resort, Kings Canyon had most expensive fuel & food, fill up everything in Alice.(Sorry ,you're going other way, KCR may have permits, Alice Tourist Info has), yell if you need phone numbers or more info.
AnswerID: 462630

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Aug 15, 2011 at 20:03

Monday, Aug 15, 2011 at 20:03
As the others have said Louis, drop tyre pressures a little and take it slowly. Is it a hire vehicle? If so, will taking it on a dirt road breach the hire conditions?

You will need to purchase a Mereenie Loop permit and these cost only a few dollars and can be purchased from the Kings Canyon Resort fuel outlet. A Mereenie Loop (between Hermannsburg and Kings Canyon) permit costs $3.50 per car to cover the cost of the brochure when purchased at the Alice Springs tourist office, and they allow a three day travel 'window' with the permit being purchased up to five days in advance. Permits can also be purchased from Hermannsburg, Glen Helen Resort and Kings Canyon Resort. Fees may be higher at the out of town outlets and they may not allow the same flexibility of travel times. This permit is not available on line.

When at Kings Canyon, be sure to do the full rim walk, but start early in the morning if the day is hot as it is quite a steep climb at the start. A wonderful walk - but don't ignore the signs and go near the edge!

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 462687

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Aug 15, 2011 at 23:34

Monday, Aug 15, 2011 at 23:34
Also Louis, you will not even need to engage four wheel drive - unless it rains. A sturdy vehicle in two wheel drive will have no problems.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 736521

Reply By: Louis H - Tuesday, Aug 16, 2011 at 00:34

Tuesday, Aug 16, 2011 at 00:34
Thank you very much to all of you. It's my first trip to Australia and looking forward beeing there: Sydney, Red center, Darwin, Lichtfield, Kakadu and finally Cairns, Cape trib and the great barrier reef with a flight to Lizard Island.

Nice to get all those answers, looks like Australians are very friendly

Louis

AnswerID: 462706

Follow Up By: Louis H - Tuesday, Aug 16, 2011 at 00:46

Tuesday, Aug 16, 2011 at 00:46
By the way, I rent a full 4wd with Avis and they agree to let me drive on those dirt roads...
FollowupID: 736522

Sponsored Links